About the image
Chicago, 1895.

Chicago’s business district was hemmed in on all sides, preventing horizontal expansion.

The Chicago River was a natural barrier to the north and the west. Lake Michigan was a natural barrier to the east. To the south were expansive rail lines and yards. In the ever-growing business district, office availability was quickly shrinking.

© 2012 John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation